• Grow

Do You Have These Pet-Toxic Plants At Home

Plants are a great way to brighten up a home! But no matter how green your thumb is, some plants are a no-go for pet lovers and owners! When choosing greenery to decorate your space, make sure you avoid these 10 common household plants that are pet-toxic for cats and dogs.

Lilies

Beautiful though they may be, lilies are one of the most toxic house plants for cats. Ingesting even a small amount of, or licking a bit of pollen off their coat can cause kidney failure and death.


Philodendron

These resilient, easy-to-grow houseplants contain high levels of calcium oxalate crystals. If ingested, this plant can cause burns to the mouth, excessive drooling, and vomiting. Other houseplants with high levels of calcium oxalate include the snake plant and pothos (devil’s ivy).

Oleander

Also known as Nerium, oleander is more commonly found in outdoor gardens, but some gardeners bring them inside for the winter. These plants contain cardiac glycosides, which can cause drooling, diarrhea, abdominal pain, abnormal heart rhythm, and neurologic signs.


Aloe

Both beautiful and functional, aloe is often used for its medicinal properties. But chewing on the plant can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. While the inner gel is generally considered non-toxic and is often used on scrapes and burns, do not use it on your pet.


Chrysanthemum

These bright fall flowers contain several toxic components that can cause illness in pets if ingested, including vomiting and incoordination. Luckily, symptoms are often mild as long as your pet has only eaten a small amount of the plant.


Hyacinth

The toxins in this spring-blooming perennial are concentrated in the roots and bulbs. Chewing on the bulbs can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, profuse drooling, and will burn the mouth. Tulips also belong to the same plant family and can cause similar symptoms if the bulbs are ingested.

Jade plant

Common among succulent-lovers, the jade plant is also known as the money plant or lucky plant. Chewing on these succulents can lead to vomiting, depression, and loss of balance. Not so lucky after all!


Sago palm

These leafy green ornamentals are highly toxic to pets! They contain cycasin, a toxin that causes severe liver failure within a few days of ingestion. All parts of the plant are toxic and ingestion can be fatal if not treated immediately.


Daffodil

These beautiful yellow and white flowers are a herald of spring. But the ingestion of any part of the plant can trigger severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, convulsions, and abnormal heart rhythm.


Asparagus fern

Also known as the foxtail fern or emerald fern, these plants are often used in hanging pots due to their feathery leaves and hardy nature. But it can cause skin irritation if your pet brushes against it. Eating of the plant's berries can also cause vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

Choose your house plants wisely when you have pets!

Plants can brighten up a room and bring joy to both you and your pet. But it’s important to choose your houseplants carefully to avoid purchasing anything that may be toxic for your pet. Be cautious too of any products that contain Essential oils. If they contain any of the chemicals mentioned above, they may not be toxic to us, but can be toxic to your pet. Be sure to check that the pet balm you use is pet safe. After all, getting them to stop licking something we put on them is near impossible.

Before bringing a new plant home, consult the ASPCA Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants List or the Pet Poison Helpline’s Poison List to make sure it is safe for your pet. If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic house plant, contact your veterinarian or Animal Poison Control right away.

#Grow #Growfamilies #Growfamily #Grow_families #Familytime #Family #Pet #Familypet #Dog #Cat #Toxinsforpets #Toxins #Poisoncontrol #Petsafety #Familysafety

Webp.net-gifmaker (1).gif

ADVERTISE

HERE